Monday 29 June 2015

The 'Zit Kit' : How to clear up a breakout fast


Do you have a set of go-to products when your skin breaks out?
Today I want to share mine. It has taken me a long time to get my skin-clearing strategy right. So after some trial and error, internet research and advice from other bloggers, I've got my perfect "zit kit" (is that a thing? Should I trademark that term quickly?).



In the mornings, I wash my face with The Body Shop's  Tea Tree Cool and Creamy face wash. I love the tingle and feeling so squeaky clean afterwards. I use it with my Clarisonic (you ALL need one of these - now at Stuttafords) and it is gentle and moisturising but still helps treat the blemishes. Feeling so fresh makes for a great start to the day actually.
I follow with my regular moisturiser, and then I use my Smashbox Photo Finish Blemish Control Primer (available at Woolies). This stuff is fantastic for blurring imperfections while still treating the skin and keeping it hydrated - and most importantly, it is oil free hydration so it helps keeping you from looking like a grease ball by 11am.

Then I use an Almay foundation - yep, you didn't see that one coming, I know. It seems to be a brand that is often overlooked, but for this amazing product, they should be winning awards. The foundation in question is their Clear Complexion liquid makeup. After reading about it online, I eventually managed to find it in Foschini. It contains a little bit of salicylic acid which really helps treat the pimples you're covering, and the liquorice and aloe extracts soothe the skin. It gives medium coverage with a matte finish (which I prefer, especially during a breakout). It is around R200, depending on where you shop. I've started seeing it everywhere now. I am so beyond impressed with this product, that I am definitely going to give this amazing budget brand some more attention.

In the evenings, I remove my makeup and then use Dermalogica's Medibac clearing skin wash. It clears oil and bacteria like nothing else and is packed with the skin-clearing hero, salicylic acid. Other ingredients like menthol, camphor and eucalyptus cool inflammation and help prevent bacteria build-up.
My dermatologist said I don't need a night cream for my skin, so I just use an eye cream and a serum every other day - but not during a breakout obviously.

Now to burn the little buggers off my face (just kidding). I treat blemishes by dotting some Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick on the affected areas and hop into bed. I used to have to hoard masses of these home in my suitcase each time we travel, but you can now get this brand in South Africa via Biovea.

I'd love to know if you have any hints, tips and tricks to handle a breakout. Who knew we'd still be fighting the battle of the blemish this late in life?

xx

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Love it? Need more info or have a question? Chat to me in the comments section. xx Leigh

© Pretty Mint | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig