Thursday 11 April 2013

20 Things about me...

I've been inspired to get a little bit more personal after seeing the video on my all-time favorite blog Cupcakes & Cashmere and a lovely post on one of the local blogs I love, Tails of a Mermaid.

My blog is essentially my own version of a diary yet I haven't yet used it to share very much of who I am. So to change that a little bit, here's 20 things about me:



1) I am THE biggest animal lover, but particularly a dog lover. I have rescued many dogs over the years and my poor parents are still bearing the brunt of this and I don't think they planned on having 3 dogs going into their 60's.  I often share my lunch with the stray dogs in the area that I work in too. I also ask random strangers on the promenade if I can pat their dogs. Sorry if that was you, I'm not a weirdo, promise!

2) I am a pathetically cheap date. The glory days of drinking the boys under the table have long gone and in their place is a twit with the giggles after 2 glasses of red.

3) I am scared of sheep. I have been convinced they are out to get me ever since I was 13 and my mom took me on a trip to the UK. We took a shortcut from our B&B to Stratford-upon-Avon across a field full of the devils and they ran at me.

4) Weirdly enough, sheep plush toys are my favorite type of fluffy toy. I have been gifted so many over the years and have over 25. Maybe its because I know they're stuffed and very much not alive.

5) I have no idea how to properly compile an Excel spreadsheet.

6) I really would love to live abroad for a while, either in NYC or the complete opposite, teaching English for a year or two in some beachy paradise like Thailand.

7) I still wish I'd gone to advertising school after finishing my BComm.

8) I never really had close girlfriends until I was in my mid-twenties. Then I had too many and learnt through a tough experience that it really is quality over quantity and have culled somewhat. I now find myself truly blessed with a wonderful group of inspiring women I call friends.

9) I often burst into tears after a conversation with an elderly person. In my previous job I would see clients on behalf of their brokers and a few were in their twilight years and had so much advice and wonderful tales to impart - yet hadn't seen their children in nearly 10 years. I could never leave my parents, or anyone in my family to die alone. I also cry when I see elderly couples holding hands. A life long marriage is a beautiful thing and to see a couple that have come through all that life throws at you, and still making eyes at each other chokes me up every time.

10) I am petrified of storms. I hate thunder and lightning. I am like a dog. I have literally be on you when a storm hits.

11) Not a huge surprise, but I have an unhealthy obsession with sweets. I have sweets everyday. If I could be hypnotized to never want to see anything sugar-laden again, I would do it. Just the other day I had a custard slice for breakfast at 7am and thought, "This is a problem".

12) I love English period drama. I have seen Pride and Prejudice too many times and will generally watch anything that has corsets, British accents and ladies in sitting rooms discussing potential suitors.

13) I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. I will be turning 30 on Friday the 13th this year. This is fact number 13....ooooooh.

14) I am pretty good at doing accents.

15) I learnt in the last couple of years that I am quite a good baker. So far favorites with friends have been my red velvet cupcakes, and lemon cupcakes with blueberry cream cheese frosting.

16) I love to bath. I don't understand "shower people". How can you not enjoy a tub filled with bubbles, fizzy bombs and all kinds of goodies to pamper your skin. Coupled with candles and a girly magazine. Bliss.

17) My greatest achievements have to be my two qualifications, completing Two Oceans Half Marathon and sticking with my marriage even though we were thrown such an ugly curveball. All of these things took guts, perseverance and the belief in a dream. All the hard work and tears paid off. Thats life.

18) My mother said she didn't get the broody thing until she was 29, and I was worried when half way through last year I wasn't feeling it at all. Then, like clockwork, I hit 29 and am now realising how much I eventually want a family of my own. A few more selfish holidays need to be taken first though!

19) I wish I had the ability to commit to a sport to the extent I competed properly, ie: being a great runner, triathlete, swimmer, iron man finisher. I just don't ever put in enough and I don't push myself.

20) I have big dreams for this blog, and a few very exciting things are already in the works for my little empire. My kids will be trust fund babies, just wait and see ;-)



FOLLOW ME ON:
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Proud to say nothing surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.s u forgot to add how much u loved holding my gum! P.p.s so proud of ur rockin block, u dirty little blogger you!

      Delete
  2. You and I are very similar: also huge animal lover, also scared of sheep - especially the ones with the black head and white wool; the opposite goes for cows - white head and dark fur - scares the shit out of me. But one of my favourite stuffed toys is a sheep that my grandma brought from Israel. His name is Jafta.

    Also shit scared of lightning. And a cheap date.

    Loved reading this!

    Megan
    http://waitingformeg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jafta! love it! such a cute name.

      Here's to being a fellow cheap date this weekend ;)

      Delete
  3. This is by far my favourite thing you have written Leigh! I love reading your blog it cheers me up when im feeling blegh.
    Lots of love to you and hope your blog reaches the stars!
    Love Kirst

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first visit to your blog and I love it. I will be poking about in here for a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog Leigh-u inspire me!love u lots!Landi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure about 14, I'm pretty sure I left Spruce house with a better SA accent than you did Anglo-Irish! Jy dink nie?

    Custard slice is great for breakfast, I've been living on desert and coffee for breakfast for years :)

    Anyways, despite probably not being the target audience I really like the blog, keep up the good work! Sam

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Need more info or have a question? Chat to me in the comments section. xx Leigh

© Pretty Mint | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig