Thursday 4 July 2013

Root44 Market



This market isn't new. Its just new to me. But what a find! Root44 will be a regular on my weekend market trawls.
The venue is at Audacia Farm in Stellenbosch, right next door to the Mooiberg strawberry farm (the one with all the giant scarecrows). There is a sneaky little slipway to your left just before Mooiberg so keep your eyes peeled as you could miss it.

I can't say I found anything that I'd buy on the craft, decor or clothing side. Maybe they'll pick up a few more fashion vendors towards summer.
The food tent however, oh that sweet food tent...
Firstly, they have a Bubble Tea stand, my favorite gimmicky drink in the world. Then they literally take you on a tour around the world with the food selection. Its massive, with so much to choose from that my friend and I did lap after lap around the tent unable to settle on anything. Eventually we chose a steak shwarma which was delish, and a plate of nachos, which were good. Not great, but nachos are always reliable. Next time I am going to join the queue for the much raved about Eisbein Burgers. They sold out too quickly - as in by about 12h30.
So they must be good. Really good!
Then there was dessert. Again a selection to blow your mind, such as cupcakes, brownies, a candy bar, and cheese for days.

All of this can be washed down with a glass of bubbly, Audacia wines or craft beer as well. I really enjoyed the bubbly but I thought R35 per glass was a bit steep at a market, and with the R20 glass deposit, our 2 glasses cost R110. I got my R40 back in the end, but I couldn't help compare to a restaurant where the bubbly would be the same price, and they don't charge you for a broken glass.
A small turn-off, but it won't stop you from indulging.

Lastly, I love that there is tons of indoor and outdoor seating and you aren't hustling for somewhere to sit. Is there anything worse than a family hovering over you like vultures waiting to take your seat, with the mother holding a screaming, snotty child looking at you like you're the sole reason she's so miserable? No, there isn't.
So back to the point, there is plenty of space for everyone. Inside, and even more so outside with loads of tables and chairs and open ground for kids to play, while the adults can relax and listen to some pretty decent live music.

Root44 Market is open on both Saturdays and Sundays from 9h00 to 15h30

Audacia Wines, Cnr of R44 and Annandale Road, Stellenbosch



FOLLOW ME ON:
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Heard so much about this market but have never actually gone, it is definitely on my To Do list.

    xoxo One Stiletto At a Time fashion and beauty blog

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Need more info or have a question? Chat to me in the comments section. xx Leigh

© Pretty Mint | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig