Monday 11 November 2013

The Weekend in Instagram


This weekend was one of those weekends that I wished that I could have pressed pause, and never pressed the play button again. I'd had a particularly stressful week and couldn't wait to pack my bags and get away.

We kicked off Friday with the Daredevil run. The boys all participated in a 5km run along the promenade donning red speedos, all in aid of raising awareness for mens' cancers and raising funds for affiliated charities. I have tons of pictures, but most are too steamy for this blog. After the boys showered off we grabbed dinner before heading to Bierfest at SAB in Newlands. I was designated driver so sadly I didn't get to chug any beer - but it was such a great vibe. I'll be back next year in my German beer maid regalia and intend to be substantially drunker.

On Saturday the man candy treated me to a mini-getaway in Stellenbosch. So we packed our bags and met up with friends for brunch at Root 44 Market - and busted the diet wide open with my favorite market food, the eisbein burger. After the market we checked into the Batavia Boutique Hotel and had a little nap in our very beautifully decorated room. After we had recharged, I took Dave for a walk around campus and showed off my old varsity stomping ground. Its amazing how so little seems to have changed. We walked passed all my old lecture buildings, through the Neelsie where I used to sustain myself on the finest slap chips and worst coffee known to mankind. I showed him the legendary SS (Studie Sentrum) where we used to regularly pull a "deurnag" the night before a big exam. After this tour, we popped into the Botanical Gardens to sit for a bit and enjoy the gorgeous weather.
The walk worked up a pretty good appetite so we went to our favorite spot, 5 on Ryneveld for burgers and the legendary jellybean milkshake. After dinner and the rugby, we decided to do a late night walk and ended up at Wakaberry for a midnight treat. They had a few board games out on the tables so we sat engrossed in a very competitive round of fingerboard, all while student life buzzed around us at the surrounding pubs. We were quite happy with our board game and froyo though. Old much?

On Sunday we went on yet another walk, this time along Dorp street on the hunt for a great coffee spot and to take in the oak tree-lined streets. After we packed up our things, we went back to Root 44 for something to nibble, and then my mom tagged in, and Dave tagged out as he had an important football game to watch. So the mothership and I headed to Kamersvol Geskenke at Webersburg for the afternoon. As always, it never disappoints and I came away with a gorgeous dress for my 30th next month, as well as some lovely decor items for Christmas. I also finally tried a Las Paletas ice cream and went to tastebud heaven. Definitely stocking the freezer with a few of those this summer.
We hadn't had quite enough of the market scene just yet, and stopped in at the Blaauwklippen Family Market on our way home and had a late lunch and something to drink.
And seeing as I hadn't done quite enough walking this weekend, mom and I decided a sunset prom walk would end the weekend off nicely. And it really did. Perfection.


FOLLOW ME ON:


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. The botanical gardens in Stellies is like a little oasis of perfection in a larger oasis of perfection, so pretty! Stunning pics!

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Need more info or have a question? Chat to me in the comments section. xx Leigh

© Pretty Mint | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig