Wednesday 3 September 2014

Snapshots from Bangkok

I loved the beaches and islands of Thailand, but I am a city girl at heart, and Bangkok stole my heart within moments of landing.
The city functions in a state of organised chaos, and you're surrounded by a constant buzz - although that could be as much from the power lines entangled in bunches overhead as much as it could be the people and the city itself.
Tuk-tuks and scooters bob in and out of the endless traffic (often into oncoming traffic which caused more than a few almost heart attacks!) and yet it all works. No hooting, no shouting, no road rage. It just moves along, and the people are all smiles.



We explored the sights, and tried out all the modes of transportation as if they were sights themselves. From taxis and tuk-tuks, to the sky train, to the riverboat taxis. The most efficient being the tuk-tuks and sky train - in case you were wondering. While incredibly touristy, taking in the sights such as The Grand Palace, the floating markets and some of the temples and Buddhas was entirely worthwhile. Every single one was beautiful, interesting and enlightening. I took an absurd amount of photos of the mosaics, sculptures and the temples themselves. The rich colours and design involved is inspiring and I need to somehow borrow some of that magic for my own home.


One of our highlights was our evening at The Sky Bar on the 63rd floor of The State Tower - the highest rooftop bar in the world, and also made extra famous after featuring in The Hangover 2 movie. We sampled some incredible (and incredibly pricey) cocktails, while overlooking the city and the Chao Phraya river and listening to live music. Its one of those memories that'll be etched into the brain-box forever because it was just so perfect.


The city is also renowned for its shopping, and it certainly didn't disappoint. We refuelled with regular stops at Starbucks and bounced between the major malls. A new suitcase was also then added to the shopping list - and luckily there is an abundance of those available on just about every corner too. Other than squeezing our spree into suitcases, we spent our last afternoon in Lumpini Park - which is more or less their own version of NYC's Central Park. We took a long, leisurely walk and watched people jogging, doing Tai Chi and iguanas lazing in the sun. Yes. Iguanas. Initially we mistook them for crocodiles, and then calmed down to a panic, and took a better look. They don't seem to bother anyone, and people use the water for paddling, peddle-boating and feeding the catfish - so they're clearly just a part of the local scenery.

I loved it. I miss it. I've been home under a week and have already found myself searching flights to go back. Four days just wasn't enough time in Bangkok for me.



FOLLOW ME ON:
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I knew you would love it! I agree, as much as I loved the beaches, Bangkok has my heart. My BF and I might just go for a weekend soon, we are getting withdrawals. Haha! You need to add Chiang Mai to your list

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Need more info or have a question? Chat to me in the comments section. xx Leigh

© Pretty Mint | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig